Wonderful holiday side idea: red wine glazed cipollini onions 😍 Cipollini onions are slightly sweeter than a pearl onion and bite-sized, so they don’t need to be cut. This recipe is super simple: I started out by cooking a few min in a skillet with butter and garlic, then added a little thyme, red.
Here’s how to make them:
Red Wine Glazed Cipollini Onions
- 1 bag of cipollini onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp sugar (I’ve used both white and brown sugar and both work fine!)
- Melt butter in a skillet, and then add onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sugar and cook for about a minute or until sugar has absorbed and the onions start to get a glaze.
- Add wine and let cook down slightly (it’ll finish in the oven).Transfer to a glass dish and add a few sprigs of thyme so the onions. Cover with tin foil and cook on 350 for about 25 min, stirring onions every 10 min or so.
- Remove foil and cook for another 10 min or until sauce has thickened and the onions have glazed nicely. Serve with some fresh thyme on top. Enjoy!