It’s officially summer which means CORN SZN. As a side, as a meal, as a “salad”. YES, YES and YES. You have to make this pearl couscous and halloumi salad. This one is easy to cook but lots of little things to cook and do. But, since this salad is is best served warm (but not hot) you can take your time.
Pearl Couscous Pine Nut and Halloumi Salad
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups pearl couscous
- 4 ears of corn, husked
- Olive oil
- Salt / pepper / red pepperflakes
- 1 pack of Halloumi cheese cutinto cubes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 cup basil leaves chopped
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Toast pine nuts in a small pan on medium heat until they get golden brown. Set aside.Meanwhile cook pearl couscous. Once cooked, add about 1 count of olive oil to keep from sticking together and set aside.
- Cook corn in boiling water and using a knife, cut kernels into a bowl. You could use frozen corn but fresh tastes better imo.
- Cut halloumi into cubes and add to a hot pan.Leave enough space between each piece so that it gets nice and crispy. Usually about 3 min per side. You can also cook halloumi on the grill but a pan works just as well.
- Chop your herbs, scallions, shallots and combine with halloumi, corn, couscous and pine nuts. Add in a few tbsps of olive oil, white wine vinegar and lemon juice. I usually do about equal parts of each but depending on how tart you want it, you can adjust accordingly. Mix in salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Enjoy as a dinner, a side or whatever you want!