This is a halloumi and fried tomato sandwich which is kind of a veggie take on a BLT and a delicious lunch option to ease you a work week. The tomatoes are coated in a cornmeal mix and quick fried. I added a little sriracha aioli to the toasted bread along with romaine and pan seared halloumi.
Fried tomato and halloumi “BLT”
- 2 slices white bread
- halloumi slices
- romaine lettuce
- sriracha aioli
For the tomatoes
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Whisk eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl. Add flour to a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip tomatoes into milk and egg mixture, and then dredge in cornmeal/breadcrumbs to completely coat.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees. Place tomatoes in hot oil in batches and fry until crisp and golden brown on one side, then flip and fry on other side.
- Transfer to a paper lined towel when nice and golden on both sizes.
- Slice halloumi and add pieces to a skillet and cook for about 2-3 min per side or until nicely browned.
- Toast bread and add sriracha aioli. Add romaine, fried tomato, halloumi to bread. Slice and enjoy!