September is one of my favorite times of year because it finally feels like things begin to slow down after a hectic summer. The produce is still fresh and the weather is still warm, but we have way more time to spend with loved ones, especially at the dinner table. This recipe is one of my favorite things to make: crispy rice, avocado and smoked salmon with a cucumber salsa. What I love about this recipe is that the prep gets everyone involved. Whether I am hosting family over for dinner, or just eating with my partner, we all gather around the table to assemble the crispy rice squares. I partnered with Pure Flavor to use their Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers for the salsa on top. They add such a delicious crunch and are super refreshing. Next time you’re planning a Sunday dinner or even a weeknight meal, you’ve got to make these!
Crispy rice, avocado and smoked salmon with a cucumber salsa
- Fry oil of choice
- 2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups Cooked white rice (preferably day old rice for optimal crisp)
- 12 pieces Smoked salmon
- 1 Avocado
- Sesame seeds
The cucumber salsa
- Handful of Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic, diced
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp hot or regular honey
- 1 tbsp chives
- Cook rice according to the package and then add in rice wine vinegar. Place parchment paper in a container and press rice into it. Cover with seran wrap and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove rice and slice into squares. In order to prevent sticking, rinse your knife in between each cut. Add frying oil to a pan and wait until it gets super hot. Add in rice and cook for about 5-6 min per side depending on thickness. Transfer to a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Make cucumber salsa by combining all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Assemble your squares by adding sliced avocado, smoked salmon and cucumber salsa. Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!