One of my favorite sandwich to date: this is a muffuletta breakfast sandwich with sunny side eggs cooked right on the delicious sweet and sour olive spread. The OG muffuletta sandwich was created by Central Grocery in New Orleans and has sesame bread, the olive spread and cold cuts. This version stays close to the original, but with a little breakfast twist. Trust me, you need to try this!
Muffaletta breakfast sandwich
The olive spread
- 3/4 cup pitted mixed oil-packed olives
- 1/2 cup giardiniera (Italian-style pickled vegetable salad)
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 tbsp parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Semolina loaf or baguettes
- sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 slices mozzarella or provolone
- 3 slices mortadella
- Combine olives, giardiniera, peppers, parsley, capers, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse to chop until combined. Transfer to a bowl and add olive oil and red wine vinegar. Stir to combine. This spread is even better overnight but of course is still good as is.
- Slice a semolina baguette and add sliced cheese. Toast until melty. Add meats.
- Meanwhile, add some of the olive spread to a pan and spread it out. Crack 2 eggs over top and cook on medium to low heat with a lid on so it cooks evenly. Season with salt and pepper. When eggs are cooked to your liking, Add to sandwich. Slice and serve. Enjoy!