This is a crispy halloumi and roasted zucchini sandwich with a creamy pistachio pesto. Halloumi is my favorite cheese of all time and it is such a great add to any sandwich. This is a great veggie option to level up your lunch. Keep following along for more ideas like this one!
Here’s how to make it:
Halloumi and zucchini sandwich with pistachio pesto
For the pesto:
- 3/4 cup basil leaves (or arugula, I did a combo of both)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1 heaping tbsp greek yogurt
- 2 slices of bread of choice (this is a Frances pan loaf from Whole Foods)
- A few slices of halloumi cheese
- A few slices of heirloom tomato
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tsp Zaatar
- 1 clove garlic
- In a food processor, combine the pesto ingredients. Blend until smooth. Adjust to taste.
- Slice garlic and add to a pan along with some olive oil. Slice zucchini and add to pan. Season with a little zataar. Cook for about 4-5 min or until zucchini is browned and then flip. Repeat until browned and softened with a little outside crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Coat bread in olive oil and in the same pan, add slices of bread and cook 2-3 min per side. Remove and set aside while you cook halloumi.
- Slice halloumi and add to pan. No need to add any additional olive oil, halloumi cooks fine on its own. Cook for about 3 min per side or until the sides are browned.
- Assembly time: Spread pesto on bread and top with sliced tomato, zucchini, halloumi and some arugula. Enjoy!