This is one I’m definitely going to make again this weekend: Zucchini salad with pistachios, fried capers, and topped with a lemony garlic sauce. I have been loving preserved lemons recently, and if you can get your hands on some, they add a ton of flavor to this one. Here’s how to make it:
Zucchini Salad with pistachios, fried capers and a lemony garlic sauce
- 2 zucchinis
- Handful of shaved parm
- Handful of pistachios, chopped
- Handful of fried capers
- 1 small garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tbsp caper juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp preserved lemon, chopped (or zest of a lemon)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Flaky sea salt and pepper
- Oil for frying (I suggest using something lighter than olive oil as it gets very smoky)
- Lay capers out on a paper towel and pat dry. Then add some flour to a shallow bowland add capers. Make sure they are full coated. Remove from flour and put on a plate. This helps get some of that excess flour off of them before you fry.
- Add oil to a pan until there is enough for the capers to be fully submerged. Once oil is hot, add capers. Cook until capers start to brown on the edges, about 2-3 min. Remove and add to a paper towel again to collect some of that excess oil.
- In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Slice zucchinis thinly and lay out on a plate.Since you aren’t cooking them, slicing them thin lets them really absorb the sauce.
- Right before you're going to eat them, add sauce, crushed pistachios, fried capers, and shaved parm. Enjoy!