A combo of 3 of my favorite things: eggs Benedict, smoked salmon and a twist on the classic “egg in a hole” . This version cracks an egg in a slice of avocado and cooks the whole thing in parmesan, cracked pepper and red pepper flakes. Finish with a simple hollandaise sauce a few slices of smoked salmon. Enjoy!
Smoked salmon Benedict avocado “egg in a hole”
- Bread of choice (this is a crispy sourdough)
- 1 slice avocado
- parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- smoked salmon
- scallions or chives for topping
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- sea salt
- Slice avocado and remove skin. Using a spoon, scoop out a little more of the middle so there is room when you crack your egg.
- Coat bread in olive oil and cook 2-3 min on one side. Flip and add avocado slice to the middle. Crack egg in the avocado hole. Grate lots of cheese over top and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook on low to medium heat until egg is cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, make your hollandaise sauce. Melt butter in a small sauce pan. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks. Mix in lemon juice, whipping cream, sea salt and pepper.
- One spoonful at a time, add in the melted butter to the yolk mixture. Adding the butter slowly will ensure that the eggs dont curdle.
- Once the butter has been combined, pour everything back into the sauce pan and cook on low heat for about a min, stirring consistently.
- Add smoked salmon on egg toast and drizzle with hollandaise. Top with chopped scallions or chives and more salt and pepper. Enjoy!