Every year for Memorial Day I make this pasta salad and it’s always a favorite. This is a colorful Mediterranean inspired orzo salad with a creamy balsamic dressing. I call it the “everything” salad because it really works well with a lot of ingredients you have on hand in your pantry. Save this one for a summery weekend and let me know if you make it!
Here’s how to make it:
Mediterranean orzo “everything” salad
- 1 box orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup drained, chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, 3/4 cup halloumi cheese cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup packed kale, Swiss chard or spinach (if you use kale or Swiss chard, add a little olive oil and massage before adding into the salad to make it a little more tender)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- 1:3 ratio of olive oil to balsamic (or whatever your preference)
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Cook orzo to box instructions and add to a large bowl along with olive oil to keep it from sticking together.
- Cook halloumi in a skillet for 3-4 min per side or until browned. Add olives, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, greens and halloumi to the bowl with the orzo.
- Add pine nuts to a pan and move around continuously until nicely browned and toasted.
- Add dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour over salad and then top with pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!