Welcome to the next episode of Make it mini which is a series that reimagines recipes using @lecreuset mini cocottes. Next up is a spinach and gruyere souffle. This version starts with a shallot béchamel sauce and all bakes in the shallot mini. The souffles get topped with more cheese and a dusting of nutmeg. Like and follow for more!
Here’s how to make it:
“Make it mini” with Le Creuset: Spinach and gruyere souffle
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup gruyere cheese, grated
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 shallot, diced
- 6 tbsp butter (2 for buttering the cocottes and 4 for the bechamel sauce)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Sea salt and pepper
- Note: Remove eggs from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature. If you try and beat the eggs and theyre too cold, they won’t thicken and form peaks.
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter the inside of 4 cocottes. Add enough breadcrumbs to coat the sides of each.
- Add spinach to a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan and shallot. Stir in flour. Add milk and stir continuously. Add in nutmeg and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 3-5 min.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Whisk the 2 egg yolks. Add egg yolks to the béchamel and stir until combined. Add cheese and spinach. And fold into the sauce.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites together until peaks form. Once they form, fold in 1/3 of the spinach béchamel. Then carefully fold in the rest, being careful not to overmix.
- Add mixture into the minis a little more than ¾ full. Wipe the sides to further encourage them to rise. Bake for 12 min and then add tinfoil overtop if they are starting to brown on the top. Cook for another 12 min. Remove and serve immediately with a sprinkle of cheese and a dusting of nutmeg. Enjoy!