Crispy artichoke hearts, creme fraiche and a buttery dill sauce— another little ode to spring 🌱🌿Growing up, my mom always used to make artichokes and they seemed so intimidating, but they really quite simple to make and delish this time of year. I just used the hearts for this recipe, but the meat on the leaves are delicious to dip in the dill sauce 👌🏼
@justine_snacks does a great tutorial on how to prep artichokes if you’re looking for a more detailed how-to.
Here’s how to make this one:
Crispy artichokes with a dill piccata and creme fraiche
- 2 artichokes
- 4 tbsp butter
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon (and more for topping)
- Splash of white wine
- 2 tsp capers
- Lots of fresh dill
- creme fraiche
- Sea salt and pepper
- Use kitchen scissors to snip the tops off the tough leaves and use a peeler to shave the green part of the stems. Slice the end of the stem and the top of the choke. Steam for about 25 min or until tender. Test tenderness by pulling a leaf off and if it comes off easily, they’re ready. Remove from pot and remove the leaves (set aside for dipping into sauce later). Remove the hairy part around the heart (again Justine Snacks has a great tutorial if you want a video of the exact step by step).
- Once you have the hearts, Slice them into quarters.
- Add butter to a pan and let it get hot. Add hearts and cook on high heat until browned, about 3-5 min per side.
- Add in splash of white wine and let it cook away. Add in lemon juice, capers, dill, salt and pepper. Cook for another 1-2 min and turn of heat.
- Add creme fraiche to a plate and then add the artichokes. Top with more dill, salt, pepper and lemon juice as needed. Enjoy!