Sure you can make beef burgers on the grill but have you spiced it up with some lamb??! I’ve always loved lamb because I think it has more flavor than beef and these burgers are no exception. This has caramelized onions, arugula, and good blue cheese (don’t skimp on good blue). I paired it with a delicious natural wine I got as part of my monthly wine club with @rampantwineco . I love Rampant bc they always recommend ingredients to pair the wines with (perfect if you love to cook), and they highlight regions so you learn a lot but in a digestible way. Also they support sustainable farming techniques.
Here is how to make it:
Blue cheese lamb burger
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 tbsp blue or gorgonzola cheese
- 4 tbsp caramelized onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 buns of choice
The caramelized onions
- 3 yellow or white onions
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- flaky sea salt
For the caramelized onions
- Peel onions and thinly slice. I use a mandolin which makes them super thin and yields a very jammy onion
- On medium heat, add butter and onions to a large pot. Toss so onions are coated in butter. Add thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 15 min, checking occasionally to make sure onions aren’t burning
- Add red wine and cover again. Cook for another 20. Remove cover and cook for another 10 or until onions are thickened. Add more salt/pepper as needed.
For the burgers
- Add lamb to a bowl and combine with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Form into paddies.
- On medium to high heat on the grill, add lamb and cook for about 4 min per side for medium rare.
- Grill buns to your liking and then coat in blue cheese (get the good stuff for the blue cheese, it really makes a difference), top with caramelized onions, some arugula and your burger. Pair with Dolcetto d’Alba and enjoy!