This is one of my favorite appetizers to make and it is so easy. I have also made a version of it with feta and it is just as good. This is filo wrapped halloumi cheese that’s coated in everything but the bagel seasoning and baked until lightly browned. Then drizzled with brown butter, hot honey and more seasoning.
Baked halloumi wrapped in filo dough, EBS and topped brown butter and honey
- 1 block halloumi cheese
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp hot honey
- 3 sheets filo dough
- Preheat oven according to filo package. Thaw dough and pull out 2-3 sheets.
- In 3 separate bowls, Add flour, egg wash, and everything bagel seasoning.
- Coat halloumi in flour, followed by egg wash, followed by everything bagel seasoning.
- Place 3-4 sheets of filo dough onto a clean, dry surface. You basically want enough filo dough for everything to stay together, but not more than a few layers or else it gets too thick when you fold it. Brush egg wash on filo dough and then add coated halloumi to the center of the dough. Leaving enough to fully wrap the halloumi, cutaway any excess dough. Similar to wrapping a present, fold dough around the halloumi and use the egg wash to keep it shut. Coat the outside of the filo dough with more egg wash.
- Using parchment paper or cooking spray, place halloumi on a baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 min or until the outer shell gets crispy.
- Meanwhile heat butter until melted. Stirring repeatedly, let butter start to become a caramel color and begin to brown.
- Remove halloumi from oven and top with brown butter, more everything bagel seasoning, and drizzle with honey. Perfect with crackers. Enjoy!