I made a delicious broth from parmesan rinds the other day and it is SO GOOD with spring vegetables like asparagus 🤩 This is asparagus and farro with a parmesan broth, pistachios and lemon. True spring vibes!
Here’s how to make it:
Asparagus and Farro with a Parmesan broth, Pistachios and Lemon
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro
- Juice from half a lemon
- 3/4 cup parmesan broth (recipe below)
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- A handful of grated parm slices
- A handful of pistachios, roughly chopped
- Red pepper flakes / flaky sea salt and pepper
- Cook farro and add to a large bowl. Squeeze lemon juice on top.
- Boil a large pot of water. Wash and chop the ends of asparagus. When water is boiling, add asparagus and cook for about 5min. Drain and then add to farro. (One note: you could also blanch asparagus)Pour parm broth overtop.
- Top everything with crushed pistachios, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Enjoy 💙💙
5 parmesan rinds or about 3/4 of a pound
1 tbsp peppercorns
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup white wine
1 garlic bulb with the top cut off
1 yellow onion, sliced into 4 pieces
A few tbsps olive oil
About 1/2 cup
Flaky sea salt/pepper
A few sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
6 cups of water Step 1: In a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil, parsley, onion, garlic, peppercorns, red pepper flakes and bay leaves. Cook for about 5 min or until the onion starts to soften. Step 2: Add white wine and cook until wine is reduce in half. Add in water and parmesan rinds. Cook for about 2 hours stirring often to make sure parm doesn’t stick to bottom as it melts. Taste test and add some lemon juice at the end. Enjoy!