A delicious breakfast idea to make this weekend: Leek pesto and gruyere egg bake with hot honey chili crisp. I am a huge pesto fan and leek pesto is no exception. Highly recommend adding the hot honey chili crisp at the end!
Leek pesto egg bake with hot honey chili crisp
The leek pesto
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup cooked leeks (2-3 leeks)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- salt and pepper
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 sheet puff pastry, thawed (I used store-bought) (I ended up only using have the sheet just because I was only making this for 2, but if you’re making it for 2+ I would double the recipe)
- 2-3 eggs 1 whisked for egg wash + 1-2 eggs on top (depending on how big)
- 3/4 cup gruyere, grated
- drizzle of hot honey
- Preheat oven to 400. Add walnuts to a sheet pan and bake for about 7 min or until toasted. Remove. Use 1/4 cup for crust and roughly chop. Set the other 1/4 cup aside for the pesto.
- Lay out puff pastry on parchment paper and lightly score the sides with a fork. Brush egg wash over crust and then top with chopped toasted walnuts
- Make your leek pesto by first cooking your leeks. Wash leeks thoroughly and then chop into coin shapes. Discard green ends. Add EVOO to a pan and add leeks. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned. In a food processor, combine cooked leeks, the remaining walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, basil, parmesan, salt and pepper. Blend until combined. Taste and adjust accordingly to taste.
- Spread over puff pastry. Top with gruyere. Crack and egg over the top. Use the cheese to create little walls so your egg stays in the middle of the pastry.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 min or until egg is cooked on top. Remove and top with hot honey chili crisp. Eat right away. Enjoy!