This is the perfect twist on a classic chicken soup and the best thing when you’re feeling under the weather. Adding a little spice to soup usually does the trick when I’m congested.
Here’s how to make it:
Spicy Chicken Soup
- 3 ears of corn (cut off the cob or frozen)
- 3 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 red chili
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 red potatoes (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk (optional you can add extra broth if you aren’t using)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 boneless thicken thighs pulled (optional if you are vegetarian)
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- Chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake chicken for about 15 min. Remove and shred. It is okay if it is a little pink.
- In a large stockpot add olive oil, shallots, garlic, ginger and chiles stirring occasionally. After about 5 min, add potatoes, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 min until potatoes are tender.
- Add in chicken, spinach, corn, and lime juice and cook for another 5 min on low. Chicken should cook the remaining way through. Serve and garnish with more lime, crushed peanuts and cilantro. Stay healthy!