This spicy coconut chicken soup is THE BEST soup for Fall and Winter, or whenever you are feeling under the weather. It’s a little spicy, packed with flavor and comes together in 30 minutes.
I have been tinkering with this spicy coconut chicken soup for years now and I promise you, it does not disappoint. I find a lot of times chicken soup lacks in rich flavor, or in order to get that rich flavor, you have to cook it for hours. This one packs all the flavor and comes together in a little over 30 minutes. I always make a big vat of it because it tastes even better for leftovers the next day.
This spicy coconut chicken soup calls for bone in skin on chicken thighs and while it takes a little longer than boneless, it’s worth it. The chicken gets seared in the dutch oven for a few minutes, which get the chicken skin nice and crispy. The skin is then removed and baked in the oven while the rest of the soup comes together. It then makes for a delicious topping at the end. I learned this method from Cafe Hailee, and it has completely changed how I make soup. This way you get all the flavor from the chicken thighs, but still get the crispiness of the chicken skin. However, I have made this soup with boneless skinless chicken thighs, and it’s also delicious.
You can really use whatever chilis you want and however much you want. People really have varying opinions on spice, but I will say, if you are under the weather, a little kick goes a long way.
The coconut milk:
This is one of the best ways to build rich, creamy flavor in not a lot of time. This recipe calls for one can and contrasts so nicely with the acidity of the lime juice.
You can really add whatever toppings you’d like to this, but I like to add crushed peanuts for a little crunch, cilantro and more lime for added flavor, and of course your crispy skin for even more flavor.
Spicy Coconut Chicken Soup
- 3 ears of corn (cut off the cob or frozen)
- 3 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 2 inch piece of ginger
- 1 red chili
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 red potatoes (chopped)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 limes
- 1.5 lb bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. In a large dutch oven, Add a glug of olive oil. Add in chicken skin side down and cook on medium to high heat for about 5 min or until the chicken skin has browned.
- Transfer to a plate and remove the skin from the chicken. Add to a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 min. Remove and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Prep all your aromatics: dice shallot, chilis, ginger and garlic. Chop potatoes. In the same dutch oven that your chicken was in, add another glug of olive oil. Once hot, add all the aromatics. Cook, stirring often for about 5 min. Add in potatoes, chicken, chicken broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 15 min or until potatoes are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from pot and when cool enough to touch, remove from the bone. Add chicken back into the pot, along with spinach, corn and lime juice. Stir and season to taste. You might need more lime juice, salt and pepper depending.
- Serve and garnish with more lime, crushed peanuts and cilantro. Roughly chope the chicken skin and add on top. Stay healthy!