This is a delicious take on “eggs in purgatory” with spicy marinara sauce and a sprinkle of fresh pesto. It is the best weekend breakfast and pairs perfectly with crispy sourdough bread.
Rustic Italian Eggs with Spicy Pesto Tomato Sauce
For the pesto
- 3/4 cup basil leaves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil + more for brushing
- 2 1/2 cups Tuttorosso tomato sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- In a food processor, add pesto ingredients and blend. Adjust seasoning to taste and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add Tuttorosso Tomato Sauce and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through, about 8 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, create 4 wells into the sauce. Crack each egg into the well. Sprinkle parmesan on top and season eggs with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 12-15 minutes on medium heat.
- Brush sourdough bread with olive oil, cook 2-3 minutes per side on medium heat. Set aside.
- When eggs are done, drizzle pesto on top and more grated parmesan. Serve right in the skillet and dip bread right into the sauce.