Nothing against grain bowls or salads, but these crispy wild rice and roasted broccoli cakes are really a treat and kinda something different (I was getting bored of my same lunch). I’m a huge fan of roasted broccoli and anything with crispy rice so this is kind of a blend of both. There is also some walnut breadcrumbs and lots of parmesan. I topped the whole thing with @stonewallkitchen shallot and walnut dressing.
Wild rice and broccoli cakes
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups broccoli
- flaky sea salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup parmesan
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs *you can do whatever breadcrumbs you want, I had a seeded loaf that I added baked with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Then I blended with olive oil and walnuts for a little bit of a nuttier breadcrumb.
- handful of walnuts
- Cook wild rice according to the package and let cool down.
- While rice is cooking, Preheat oven to 400 and slice broccoli. Add to a sheet pan. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook for about 12 min. If you are making homemade breadcrumbs, add broken up stale bread and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Add to pan for the last 7 min or so.
- Remove broccoli and roughly chop.
- Add breadcrumbs to a food processor with your walnuts and a few tbsp of olive oil. Blend until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rice, broccoli, whisked egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan, flaky sea salt and pepper. I kind of eyeballed this and added each ingredient as I went, but you want the same consistency of almost a meatball.
- You can make the cakes whatever size you like and eye ball with your hand, or you can lay out mixture on a cutting board and use a glass to cookie cut out your cakes. That just makes them more round
- Add oil of choice to a pan and wait until it gets hot. Carefully add your cakes and cook for about 2-3 min per side. Remove and serve with dressing of choice. Enjoy!