This is a great one for a Sunday dinner: roast chicken Provençal with shallots, green olives and cherry tomatoes. It’s all cooked together so pretty easy and quick. “Provençal” is really about the sauce made from herbs, tomatoes and garlic… so you can get creative with the other veggies you add to the pan. I added olives and shallots, but I’ve also seen it done with dates or other veggies. You could def add some sliced potatoes if you wanted to throw a carb in there. I also love that the chicken gets a great little crisp on the outside without having to pan sear (allll done in the oven). Here’s how to make it:
Roast chicken Provençal with shallots, green olives and cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 bone in chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup flour Dried herbs like thyme/oregano (optional and if you have on hand- I’ve actually seen “herbs de Provence”at the market but it’s rare and kind of $$ so up to you and not required)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green olives
- Thyme sprigs
- Marjoram sprigs
- Rosemary sprigs
- 2 lemons
- 1 head of garlic (yes you’ll need that much)
- 1/3 cup vermouth
- Olive oil
- Wash and pat dry your chicken. Coat in salt,pepper and dried herbs (if you’re using) and then dredge in flour.
- In a roasting pan, add olive oil and spreadaround. Neatly position your chicken a few inches apart in the pan. Peel andquarter your shallots and cut your lemon into pieces. Peel garlic but leave infull clove form. Arrange lemon, shallots, olives, tomatoes, garlic and freshherbs around your chicken.
- Season again with salt/pepper/ dried herbs androast on 400 for about 20 min. Check and make sure your chicken is moist, andadd a squeeze of lemon if it’s feeling dried out. Cook for another 12 min orso.
- Remove, and enjoy with a few more squeezes oflemon!