I recently discovered how easy it is to make hashbrowns at home and you probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already…. They’re super crispy and great on toasts and sandwiches.
Here’s how to make them:
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp flour
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- Sour cream to your liking
- Grate potatoes. Rinse potatoes in a strainer a few times to release some starch. Then with a cheesecloth or towel, press down and remove as much water from the potatoes as possible. I didn't have a cheesecloth so used an extra cloth napkin and it worked fine.Optional: you can peel your potato skin or not, depending on preference. I peeled a little off but kept most on… totally a personal preference.
- Make your mixture: in a bowl, add egg, scallions, flour and parmesan cheese. Stir until combined and then add potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once fully combined, use your hands to create thin patties. Meanwhile, start heating about 1/4 inch vegetable oil in a skillet. Once that’s really hot, add patties to the skillet and cook about 3min per side.
- Remove and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!