I combined two of my favorite things for the ultimate comfort food: This is a puttanesca grilled grilled cheese with fried capers. I used Tuttorosso tomatoes Crushed Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic and Petite Diced Tomatoes, which added so much flavor to the puttanesca sauce. Tuttorosso Tomatoes are just such high quality and you can always taste such a difference in anything you make. This was my first time using their roasted garlic crushed tomatoes and these are going to be my goto from now on,
Puttanesca grilled grilled cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Tuttorosso® Crushed Tomatoes Roasted Garlic
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Tuttorosso® Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted, plus 2 tablespoons Kalamata olive juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil, or fry oil of choice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup capers
- sourdough bread
- 3 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, or 1/2 cup shredded basil leaves, for topping
- olive oil
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, over medium heat, add oil. Cook garlic and onion until fragrant, 1 minute. Add anchovies and cook 1 minute. Add Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes Roasted Garlic and Tuttorosso Petite Diced Tomatoes, olives and red pepper flakes. Add in olive juice. Let come to a simmer, stirring often, about 15-20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a pan and let it heat. Add flour to a bowl and drain capers. Add capers to flour and coat evenly. When the oil is hot, add capers. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until they start to brown and crisp. Remove and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Add a thin layer of Puttanesca sauce to sour dough bread. Add fried capers, mozzarella and a few sprigs of basil. Add a piece of bread on top. Add oil or butter to a pan and add sandwich. Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side or until cheese is melted and bread is nicely browned. Remove and serve immediately.